APPLY NOW! (386) 506-3000  My Daytona State

Questions and Answers - What You Need To Know

I've changed my mind about my Major. What do I do?
If you want to change your major you will need to meet with an Academic Advisor to review the requirements of the new major and discuss the implications of changing your major. Once the advisor goes over the information with you they will change the major for you.

If I am getting my AA Degree at Daytona State College, how do I know what I need for transfer to another institution to complete my Bachelor's Degree?
Students can simultaneously meet requirements of both the AA Degree and intended transfer institution pre-requisites if appropriate planning takes place early in the student's education career. Most institutions offering Bachelor's Degree programs require that specific coursework be completed prior to admission into the program. The amount of course work varies depending on the program of study. These additional courses are referred to as Common Program Prerequisites.  Please let your Academic Advisor know what your intended bachelor's degree major will be so they can discuss the Common Program Prerequisites with you. This will prevent having to take additional courses to meet the common prerequisites. 

I found the common prerequisites for my Major, but it does not give a specific Course Number. What does this mean?
Make sure to verify courses that may be prerequisite courses. Some institutions specify course numbers; others give a general category. For example: It may just say Biological Science. It is your (the student's) responsibility to know if that means Survey of Biology for Non-Science Majors or General Biology for Science Majors and whether or not a lab is required. If you take the wrong class, you will not meet requirements and may jeopardize entry into the transfer institution. It will also be additional time and expense to then take the correct course that you should have enrolled in originally. Don't guess about courses thinking that it "sounds like" the same class that will not even be accepted by the transfer institution! Contact the transfer institution for verification if you have any questions. 

I have a personal issue and cannot attend class anymore. I'll just get dropped since I've quit coming to class, right?
No!! You must formally WITHDRAW from classes. If you no longer can attend classes, you must complete the withdrawal process. If you do not, you will receive an "F". 

What is the difference between dropping and withdrawing?

When you "drop" a class within the Add/Drop period, you are entitled to a refund and neither a grade nor the class shows up on your transcript. When you "withdraw" from a class (the deadlines are published on the academic calendar), you will lose the money you paid for the class, and the class will appear on your transcript with the grade of "W". A withdraw may impact how much you pay for classes in the future and can effect your current/future financial aid awards. Click here for further information.

I am having problems in my classes. Where do I go for help?
You should always start by talking with your instructor. The professors can usually direct you to resources to help you build your skills or can meet with you during office hours to try to get you back on track. They will also give you a realistic perspective of how you are doing in the class. If you need additional help, Academic Support Services offer assistance/tutoring in many subject areas. 

I see new requirements each year for my program that are different. Which ones do I follow?
You must follow the requirements for your catalog year (the semester and year that you entered the College). You can disregard new requirements as they come out, as they do not pertain to your program of study. If you are in a limited access program, you must already be accepted into the program prior to any changes to avoid having to follow new requirements. You only follow current program guide/catalog year if you started this year (Fall, Spring, or Summer) or if you did not maintain Continuous Enrollment. Continuous enrollment means that you have not missed two major semesters (Fall/Spring or Spring/Fall).

Do I have to take courses in the same order as they appear in the program guide/catalog?
No, you do not have to take them in the same order unless they have pre-or co-requisites. If a course does not have a prerequisite, you may take it at any time it is offered. The order in the Catalog is only a suggestion for your success. Any prerequisite or co-requisite requirements are noted in the course description of the Catalog. Some courses in certain programs may only be offered during certain semesters (i.e., only in the Fall).

Can I test out of college credit classes or can I receive credits for my AP and/or IB from high school?
Daytona State College offers opportunities to earn credit for experience, accepts advanced placement credits and credit through other approved exams/programs. The following descriptions can help you choose which alternative best suits your needs.

IMPORTANT: If you plan to transfer after leaving Daytona State, check if the transfer institution accepts credits earned through these various other ways to earn credit. Students can earn a maximum of 25 percent of credits needed for their degree or certificate through experiential learning.

      Acceleration Mechanisms:

  1. Advanced Placement (AP) - AP credit is granted to students who have the College Entrance Examination Board/AP send official Advanced Placement Test results to the Daytona State College Admissions Office. Required scores to earn credit vary by course. Check with the Records Office for details on specific scores for subject areas. You receive credit, but not letter grades, for courses earned through AP. Earned credits are not computed into your GPA. Contact Daytona State's Records Office for AP requirements and information.  AP Exam Chart
  2. College Level Examination Program (CLEP) - The CLEP is the national exam program which offers exams in academic subject matters. Certain scores will result in credit for college courses. (Score requirements vary depending on the institution.) Official CLEP scores should be sent from the College Entrance Examination Board/CLEP to the Admissions Office. If required scores are earned, you will receive credit, but not letter grades for the courses earned through CLEP. Applications, registration materials and test fee information about CLEP are available in Assessment Services Offices on each Daytona State College campus. CLEP Chart
  3. International Baccalaureate (IB) - Daytona State awards credit based upon higher level and/or subsidiary level IB exams. Official transcripts and scores should be sent from International Baccalaureate to the Admissions Office. You receive credit, but no letter grades, for courses earned through IB. Earned credits are not computed into your GPA. Contact Daytona State's Records Office for IB requirements and information.  IB Exam Chart

Which Math should I take? The Math Pathways Guide  and short video were developed by the School of Mathematics to help students choose the right math courses based on their educational goals.


What is grade forgiveness and can I repeat a course that I received a grade of "C" in?
Grade forgiveness applies when students repeat the same college level course in which they earned a "D" or "F" grade. A student may not repeat the same college level or college preparatory class to improve a grade of "C" or better (State Board Rule - true at all community colleges in Florida). You may audit a course if you just want a refresher on the course content (with the exception of developmental courses).  A certain limited number of approved courses are repeatable for credit without the penalty of full cost of instruction.

What is the Gordon Rule?
The Gordon Rule requires students to complete 24,000 words of composition and to complete two courses (six credit hours) of mathematics at the level of college algebra or higher. Each course must be completed with a "C" or better. Courses that satisfy the Gordon Rule requirement are part of the General Education Core.

I want to take a class at another college and have it apply to my program at Daytona State. What do I do?
A Transient Student is one who enrolls in two colleges simultaneously. A transient student may be admitted and enrolled at another college or university, but concurrently taking a course or courses at Daytona State College to fulfill the other college's requirements or taking courses at another college to fulfill Daytona State College requirements. Many students use this option because their "home" college or university does not offer the course, does not offer the course at a time convenient for them, or they are in the area of the second college for an extended period of time. Students who wish to be a transient student from Daytona State College to another school must obtain a "Transient Form" from the Records Office website and complete student portion. Records will verify that the student meets the criteria and approve the form. Contact Records for information. If you are coming to Daytona State College from another college, obtain a "Transient Form" from your home institution and bring that to the Admissions Office. Students can also complete the transient form online using 

What is a credit hour?
A credit hour is the approximate time you spend in class per week. A three-credit course, for example, is equal to three hours spent in the class per week.

What is a full-time load? Do I have to be full time to get financial aid?
A full-time load is a minimum of 12 credit hours. Federal financial aid (Pell Grants, etc.) do not require that you be full-time. You can get an aid award for 3/4 time (9-11 credit hours) or 1/2 time (4-8 credit hours). Other funding sources (i.e., scholarships, VA, etc.) may have full-time requirements. You are responsible for determining the credit requirements for your funding source and maintaining enrollment in the proper amount of credits.

How do I figure out my Grade Point Average (GPA)?
A Grade Point Average (GPA) is calculated for each semester based on the number of hours attempted per course and the grade point value associated with the letter grade. 

Example: Credit Grade Grade Points
English    3    A  4.0(x3)=12
Math    3    B+  3.5(x3)=10.5
Speech    3    F  0.0(x3)=00.0
Psychology     3    C  2.0(x3)=06.0
History    3    D  1.0(x3)=03.0




Grade Point Value

  A   =   Excellent 4.0
  B+   = Very Good 3.5
  B   = Good 3.0
  C+   = High Average 2.5
  C   = Average 2.0
  D+   = Below Average 1.5
  D   = Poor 1.0
  F   = Failure 0.0
  FN   = Failure 0.0 (non-attendance prior to withdrawal date)

Total Credits: 15
Total Grade Points: 31.5
Divide 31.5 (grade points) by 15 (credits) = 2.1 GPA

Here is a free GPA Calculator on the web that will assist you in calculating your GPA, this calculation does not take grade forgiveness in to account - Click Here

Choosing a Program/Major

A.A. degree vs. A.S. degree vs. B.S./B.A.S degree
At Daytona State you'll find several options for your academic future; like earning an Bachelor of Science in Education, Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology, Bachelor of Applied Science in Supervision and Management, Associate in Arts degree, Associate in Science degree or a certificate.

Bachelor of Science in Education Programs
The Bachelor of Science in Education is an approved program leading to teacher certification in the State of Florida in the areas of Elementary Education, Exceptional Education, and Specializations of Secondary Math, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Earth/Space Science Education. The program is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary for them to become effective educators.  The BS in Education programs require students to complete as Associate of Arts degree and specialized core courses.

Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology
The Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology prepares individuals who already have skills in specific technical areas for supervisory and management roles and positions for the professional focuses primarily on analyzing, applying, implementing and improving existing technologies and is aimed at preparing graduates for the practice of engineering closest to the product improvement, manufacturing, and engineering operational functions.  The BS in Engineering Technologyprograms require students to complete as Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree and specialized core courses.

What is the B.A.S. degree?
Bachelor of Applied Science in Supervision and Management
 program prepares individuals who already have skills in specific technical areas for supervisory and management roles and positions. Associate Degree programs have prepared these individuals to enter the job market at entry-level or mid-level positions. Upper-level coursework in the Bachelor of Applied Science in Supervision and Management program broadens their knowledge in applied management practices and prepares them for supervisory and management opportunities within their technical fields.

Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree
An Associate of Arts (A.A.) program is a 60 credit-hour degree program that includes the core courses needed to complete the first two years of a four-year bachelor's degree in Florida. The 60 credits must fulfill specific area requirements i.e. Math, English, Physical Science, etc. The credits that you earn at Daytona State through the A.A. degree are transferable to most Florida four-year colleges or universities. View the current catalog AA degree requirements.

Associate of Science (A.S.) degree
The Associate in Science (A.S.) varies in length, depending on the academic discipline. A.S. programs provide you with the knowledge and workforce skills necessary to perform in a particular profession. The General Education credits earned in an A.S. degree program can be transferred to a four-year college or university. Unlike the A.A. degree, however, the A.S. curriculum is not considered equal to the first two years of a bachelor's degree. Program specific courses ordinarily do not transfer to colleges/universities, even as electives.

What is the difference between an A.S. and an A.A.?
The main difference between the AA and AS degrees are the General Education courses.  A.S. Degrees have fewer general education requirements than the AA degree. The AS degree is really designed for individuals who want to get college-level training in a workforce discipline and do not intend to go further with a degree in the future.

Vocational Certificate Programs
Many of today's high-paying, high-demand careers don't require a college degree. These programs blend classroom instruction and practical, real-world training - often in the actual work environment. Some of our vocational certificates include: Nursing Assistant, Correctional Officer, Automotive Technician, and Law Enforcement Officer.

College Credit Certificates. These certificates include college-credit courses also required in our A.S. degrees. They are a great start if you cannot commit to the full program right away. Some include: Computer Programming, Medical Records Transcribing and Network Communications.

View and print Program Guide Links

How to Use Your Degree Audit

Your Degree Audit (now called My Requirements) will show you the courses you've completed and compares it to the courses that are required for your major/program. If your major/program is not correct in our records your Requirements will be incorrect. To change or update your major, you will need to contact an Academic Advisor. An advisor will be able to change your major and supply you with information regarding course and program requirements. 

How do I run My Requirements?

  • Go to MyDaytonaState portal
  • Click on Falcon Self-Service and Log in
  • Then click on Enrollment
  • Then click on Enroll by My Requirements

You have to meet specific requirements (i.e. general education courses such as math, English, etc.). On your audit, it will show the various categories. If it says "Satisfied" you have satisfied that category and do not need to take any further courses to fulfill that requirement. If the category reads "Not Satisfied" it will show a list of courses that you can choose from to satisfy that requirement. Your advisor will be happy to review your requirements with you and give you the opportunity to ask any questions regarding your requirements.

If you experience any problems running your requirements, contact an Academic Advisor for help. They can assist if you have a problem with the requirements working properly and if you think there is an error in the application of your courses to the program.

If you have questions about which courses you should take to fulfill requirements that you still have open, you should contact an Academic Advisor, who can provide you with details about courses and keep you on track to your degree.

Your Catalog Year and Continuous Enrollment

Your Catalog Year Requirements
When you start a program at Daytona State College, it is important that you follow the College Catalog for the semester/year that you began. This is your contract with the College. Note:Do not follow new requirements as they change in program guides or new catalog years. If requirements change from year to year, you are not affected. The requirements in effect when you started with us are the requirements you will follow for graduation...unless you have missed two major semesters (spring or fall). If that is the case, you have not maintained continuous enrollment and will be required to follow new catalog requirements.

Continuous Enrollment Requirement for Graduation
Continuous enrollment means that you have not missed two consecutive major semesters (fall or spring). Currently enrolled students who attend Daytona State College continuously for each major semester may use the general education requirements in effect the year they enter. However, if requirements change, continuously enrolled students either may continue under the old requirements or meet any new ones. New students, and those returning after missing two or more major semesters, must use the requirements listed in the catalog upon their return.

How Can I Access Requirements From Previous Years?
You can visit the Records Office on the Daytona Campus to obtain a copy of requirements for a given year or you can visit the catalog archives online through the Records website.

Ready to Graduate?

You should begin thinking about graduation as early as your first semester!!
Look at these various recommendations and follow their links to make sure you take the straight route to graduation. It is important to plan early to graduate on time and with all of the proper courses for Daytona State College and potentially your transfer institution.

Manage your own progress - From start to finish!

Step One - Run and Understand your My Requirements.
My Requirements runs based on the degree you have 'on file'. It compares the courses you've taken with the courses you need for the degree. Simply look at the requirements and the categories and the list of courses listed. The requirements divides each program into different areas and checks to see that you have satisfied each area. If you are currently enrolled in classes these classes will show up in the requirements. 

Step Two - Understand Continuous Enrollment
Continuous enrollment means that you have not missed a major semester (fall or spring). Currently enrolled students who attend DSC continuously for each major semester should use the requirements in effect the year they enter. However, if requirements change, continuously enrolled students either may continue under the old requirements or choose to meet any new ones. If as a continuing student, you want to follow new requirements, you must inform the Records Office so that your Catalog Year can be updated in the system. Otherwise your audit and graduation review will be based on previous requirements. New students, and those returning after missing one or more major semesters, must use the requirements listed in the catalog upon their return.

Step Three - Understanding the Graduation Process at Daytona State College

If you have satisfied ALL of your program requirements then you can proceed to completing a Graduation Application online through your student portal.  You can submit it and pay online.

Please feel free to email an Advisor at with any questions you may have. Please email from your student email account, make sure you include your name, student ID number and any associated information in your email. This will insure you get a response in a timely manner.

Daytona State College Facebook Daytona State College Twitter Daytona State College Youtube Daytona State College Linkedin Daytona State College Instagram

Daytona State College 1200 W. International Speedway Blvd., Daytona Beach, Florida 32114 (386) 506-3000

Daytona State College is an equal opportunity institution.

If you are having any difficulty accessing our website, please contact the help desk at (386) 506-3950 or

Last updated: 2021-06-24T16:12:09.61Z