APPLY NOW! (386) 506-3059  My Daytona State

Student Complaints and Appeals

Occasionally, you may face situations as a student that are beyond your control that may warrant exception from certain rules, procedures, or deadlines. If you face a challenge or concern that requires assistance or intervention, it's important to find the right department and procedures to get your questions answered and concerns resolved. 

Complaint Process

You are encouraged to pursue an informal resolution to matters whenever possible by bringing your concern to the attention of the person or office where the situation arises. Informal policies and procedures may vary based upon the nature of the complaint. If dissatisfied with the response, you should contact the appropriate area supervisor, director, department chair, or administrator.  

If a concern cannot be resolved through informal means, you may file a formal written complaint with the AVP of Student Development or the Student Advocate. Distance Learning students must follow the same procedures.

Keith Kennedy, AVP of Student Development
(386) 506-3562

Kathryn Fulco, Student Advocate
(386) 506-3381 

If an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint with the State of Florida or your State of residence. The Student Grievance Contact Information for Florida and individual States provides phone numbers, emails and/or links to state education agencies is noted below.

Licensing Agency: Florida Department of Education

Florida Colleges Complaint Form

Florida Department of Education
Division of Colleges
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 1544
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400

Accrediting Agency: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges Complaint Policy

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
(404) 679-4501

List of State Offices for Complaints

Appeal Process

Appeals are meant to address documented extenuating circumstances. They are not an appropriate remedy for failure to pay adequate attention to details about published processes or deadlines or for ignorance of such published material. In order to file an appeal, it is important for a student to follow the appeals process very carefully.

The college will accept an appeal in rare situations involving one of the following:

  • Serious Illness/Injury
  • Unforeseen Emergency/Natural Disaster
  • Non-Voluntary Military Activation
  • Death of Immediate Family Member (parent/legal guardian, sibling, spouse, or child)
  • Other Extraordinary Circumstance

Issues involving the following circumstances will not be considered and are not valid situations for requesting an appeal:

  • Child care issues
  • Transportation issues
  • Employment changes
  • Normal pregnancy
  • Incarceration
  • Disagreement with the instructor teaching method
  • Difficulty learning the course material
  • College disciplinary actions and judicial sanctions
To submit an appeal, students must:
  1. Complete a paper or online appeal form.
  2. Write a personal statement clearly explaining the circumstances surrounding your situation or incident. 
  3. Attach relevant supporting documents from medical providers or other third parties. If you need help writing your personal statement or for more information about appropriate supporting documentation, please click here to review Documents Needed.

The appeal form must be submitted with your personal statement and all supporting documentation by the submission deadline indicated on the appeal form. Incomplete and unsigned appeal forms without the required supporting documents will be delayed or denied. Submit your appeal to the appropriate department, as indicated on the form.

You are encouraged to read the Appeal Policies and Criteria before submitting an appeal.

Appeal forms and grievance processes are listed below:

  • Academic Second Chance/Academic Amnesty 
  • Administrative Drop 
  • Catalog Year
  • College Academic Suspension
  • Equity Grievance
  • Financial Aid Suspension for Excessive Hours 
  • Financial Aid Suspension for GPA and/or Completion Rate 
  • Formal Complaint
  • Formal Grade Dispute
  • 4th (Final) Attempt
  • In-State Tuition for 3rd Attempt
  • Grade Change “F/FN” to “W”
  • Late Withdrawal
  • Residency
  • Administrative Review
  • Other Complaints/Appeals

For more information, email Appeals at the Question & Answer Center at If you're a current student, please email from your student email account, make sure you include your name, student ID number and any associated information in your email. This will insure you get a response in a timely manner. 

Daytona State College Facebook Daytona State College Twitter Daytona State College Youtube Daytona State College Linkedin Daytona State College Instagram

Daytona State College 1200 W. International Speedway Blvd., Daytona Beach, Florida 32114 (386) 506-3000

Daytona State College is an equal opportunity institution.

If you are having any difficulty accessing our website, please contact the help desk at (386) 506-3950 or

Last updated: 2019-03-22T20:44:01.576Z