Come back to your calling or change your speciality
Earn continuing education credit to update your nursing skills days, evenings and weekends.
Daytona State College’s Nurse Refresher program is for LPNs and RNs who have left the profession, but who have maintained their Florida State Board of Nursing license and want to update their skills to gain employment.
Classes are offered days, evenings, and weekends in the classroom, the skills lab, Daytona State’s human patient simulator lab, on location in a hospital. Classes conducted at the college are located in the Health Sciences Hall (Bldg. 320) on the Daytona Beach Campus. Parking is available on a lot on Heineman Street across the street from the east entrance to Halifax Hospital.
All classes are approved for continuing education credits and are reported to CE Broker. These courses are not offered for those seeking college credit to complete a degree or certificate.
View our October, November, December course offerings .
Study at your own pace
You may begin the Nurse Refresher Program at any time and take courses at your own
How to get started
- To begin the program an initial meeting is required with the Institute for Health Services Coordinator. You must provide a copy of your Florida nursing license and resume.
- During your initial meeting, we will help you map out your employment and educational goals and develop an individualized learning plan. There is no charge for this initial meeting and no registration fee.
- Courses are individually priced. The number of courses you take and the length of the program is customized to your individual needs.
- After completing the foundation of refresher courses, a clinical experience with direct patient care relevant to your employment goals will be offered. The clinical setting may be a hospital, home health agency, skilled nursing facility, hospice, etc. The number of clinical hours spent at a setting will be individually determined.
- Before you can begin your clinical experience you must have a current Basic Life Support Certification, health screening, current immunizations, and pay for national criminal background fingerprinting and drug screening.
Guidance you can trust
The Nurse Refresher Program Advisory Committee is comprised of individuals representing community agencies in Volusia and Flagler counties who have an interest in organizations that may offer clinical experiences or employment to program graduates.
For more information or to set up an initial meeting, contact Daytona State College Institute for Health Services Coordinator Paula Morton, MSW, RN, at (386) 506-3522 or email mortonp@DaytonaState.edu.