Great need for teachers - choose a career that makes a difference!
Do you want to help shape the lives of children and adolescents? Do you want to make a difference? Do you enjoy working with people? If so, consider a career in education!
You can achieve your dream of becoming a teacher by enrolling in one of seven Bachelor of Science in Education degree programs or the Educator Preparation Institute offered by Daytona State College.
These programs incorporate innovative curriculum with cutting-edge technology. Our experienced faculty is dedicated to providing students with the essential knowledge and strategies needed to become successful teachers.
Bachelor's Degree Programs
Daytona State’s Bachelor of Science in Education degree programs prepare students to design, develop and implement effective classroom management techniques and instructional strategies. While enrolled in our programs, you will spend many hours in Flagler and Volusia County schools working with children in kindergarten through high school, practicing the instructional strategies learned in class.
Degree programs include:
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (K-6)/ Reading Endorsement /ESOL Endorsement
- Bachelor of Science in Exceptional Student Education (K-12) / Reading Endorsement /ESOL Endorsement
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Math Education (6-12)
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Biology Education (6-12)
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Earth/Space Science Education (6-12)
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Chemistry Education
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Physics Education
These programs fulfill the education courses, professional education competencies and practical experience required to obtain a fiveyear Florida Professional Educator’s Certificate. Students enrolled in these programs are required to complete field experience hours and a fulltime student internship in the public schools. Elementary Education and Exceptional Student Education programs also include a reading endorsement and an ESOL endorsement.
Admission Requirements for the BS Degree
- Associate of Arts degree from an accredited institution with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Students who do not have an AA degree will be accepted into the AA degree in Education track that corresponds to their area of interest while the AA degree is being completed. Students who have an AA degree, but have not met all of the course requirements cannot be accepted into the BS programs, but will be offered enrollment as non-degree seeking students while completing their prerequisite courses.
- Completion of the common education prerequisite courses (EDF1005, EDF2085, and EME2040) with a grade of “C” or better.
- Completion of the common prerequisite courses for the specific education programs in Mathematics and Science.
- Passing score on the General Knowledge Test.
- Regardless of prior volunteer clearance from Flagler County Schools or Volusia County Schools, all applicants must complete a Volusia County Schools Application to volunteer prior to admission into the BS program.
Educator Preparation Institute
The Educator Preparation Institute (EPI) provides the necessary training for those already holding a four-year degree who may be interested in becoming highly qualified teachers in Volusia and Flagler counties.
In addition to becoming prepared to pass the Florida Teacher Certification Exams (FTCE), those who successfully complete the EPI program will be eligible to receive their five-year Professional Educator’s Certificate.
EPI is a state-approved alternative certification program that fulfills the education courses, professional education competencies and practical experience required to obtain a five-year Professional Educator’s Certificate.
EPI develops teachers through a learning community which offers direct instruction, peer collaboration, portfolio development, formal standardized assessment, service learning, and exposure to a collaborative team of effective and experienced professors.
Classes meet in the day and evening to accommodate individuals who may be currently employed, but seeking a career change.