Great need for teachers - choose a career that makes a difference!
Do you want to help shape the lives of children and adolescents? Do you want to make a difference? Do you enjoy working with people? If so, consider a career in education!
You can achieve your dream of becoming a teacher by enrolling in one of seven Bachelor of Science in Education degree programs or the Educator Preparation Institute offered by Daytona State College.
These programs incorporate innovative curriculum with cutting-edge technology. Our experienced faculty is dedicated to providing students with the essential knowledge and strategies needed to become successful teachers.
Bachelor's Degree Programs
Daytona State’s Bachelor of Science in Education degree programs prepare students to design, develop and implement effective classroom management techniques and instructional strategies. While enrolled in our programs, you will spend many hours in Flagler and Volusia County schools working with children in kindergarten through high school, practicing the instructional strategies learned in class.
Degree programs include:
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (K-6)/ Reading Endorsement /ESOL Endorsement
- Bachelor of Science in Exceptional Student Education (K-12) / Reading Endorsement /ESOL Endorsement
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Math Education (6-12)
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Biology Education (6-12)
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Earth/Space Science Education (6-12)
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Chemistry Education (6-12)
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Physics Education (6-12)
These programs fulfill the education courses, professional education competencies and practical experience required to obtain a five year Florida Professional Educator’s Certificate. Students enrolled in these programs are required to complete field experience hours and a full-time student internship in the public schools. Elementary Education and Exceptional Student Education programs also include a reading endorsement and an ESOL endorsement.
Admission Prerequisite for the BSED Programs
- Completed the common prerequisite courses, EDF1005, EEX2010, and MAE2801 (Elementary and ESE Majors)
- EDF1005 & EEX2010 (Secondary Majors also require additional content prerequisites, see program guide)
- If student began working toward BSED degree before Fall 2017 the following prerequisites may be used EDF 1005, EDF 2085, and EME 2040 with a “C” or better.
Educator Preparation Institute
The Educator Preparation Institute (EPI) provides the necessary training for those already holding a four-year degree who may be interested in becoming highly qualified teachers in Florida.
In addition to becoming prepared to pass the Florida Teacher Certification Exams (FTCE), candidates who successfully complete the EPI program will be eligible to receive a five-year Florida Professional Educator’s Certificate.
EPI is a state-approved alternative certification program that fulfills the education courses, professional education competencies and practical experience required to obtain a five-year Professional Educator’s Certificate.
EPI develops teachers through a learning community which offers direct instruction, peer collaboration, formal standardized assessment, service learning, and exposure to a collaborative team of effective and experienced professors.
Classes are designed to accommodate individuals who may be currently employed, but seeking a career change.