Daytona State's Bachelor of Science in Education will prepare you to design, develop and implement effective classroom management techniques and instructional strategies. While enrolled in our programs, you will spend many hours in area schools working with children in kindergarten through high school, practicing the instructional strategies learned in class.
These are fully accredited, state-approved programs that fulfill the education courses, professional education competencies and practical experience required to obtain a five-year Educator's Certificate in their respective disciplines. The programs include state endorsements for Reading and ESOL. Students in these programs are required to perform field service in public schools and complete 12-14 weeks in a full-time student internship in the public schools.
- Daytona State College offers seven degrees in education:
- Important Dates
- Applications are accepted year-round.
Applicants to any of the Bachelor of Science in Education degrees must have:
- Earned an AA from a regionally accredited institution.
- Earned an overall minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA for all higher education classes.
- Completed the common prerequisite courses, EDF 1005, EDF 2085 (formerly EDG 2071), and EME 2040 with a “C” or better.
- Earned passing scores on all four subsections of the Florida General Knowledge Test for Teachers. Register online at http://www.fl.nesinc.com/tests.asp.
- Been cleared as a volunteer by Volusia County Schools. Download the Application to Volunteer and submit to the address at the top of the form. In the 3rd box, indicate "Daytona State College" as the College Name and "email@example.com" as the Professor's Name. Inaccurate or incomplete information may delay your results. The clearance is good for five years.
- Students concentrating in Secondary Mathematics or any Secondary Science must complete the subject area specialization core courses with a grade of “C” or higher. (Specific information available in Academic Advising.)
- Students must meet CLAS requirements.
- Once accepted, students must enroll in and complete a mandatory orientation class (SLS3355) in their first semester of enrollment.
Students who have not earned an Associate of Arts degree will be accepted into the AA Education degree track that corresponds to their area of interest while the AA degree is being completed. Students who have an AA that is either not equivalent to a Florida AA or does not include all of the prerequisite courses cannot be accepted to the program, but will be offered enrollment as a non-degree seeking student while taking prerequisite courses.
Download the Bachelor of Science in Education Information Sheet for more information.
1. Get Admitted!
Complete an Application for Admission. You can apply online or by downloading our application and submitting it by mail, fax, email, or in person at any campus. Continuing Daytona State students are still required to submit a new application for the BSED program in order to change levels.
Submit final, official high school or GED transcript including a graduation date. Students who graduated from a home school program are required to submit a home school affidavit. Submit final, official transcripts from all colleges or universities you have attended. An official transcript is one that arrives in a sealed envelope. Have all official transcripts sent directly to: Daytona State College Admissions Office, 1200 W International Speedway Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL 32114.
If you graduated high school or have attended college in another country, please download the information sheet, Evaluating Credentials from Outside the U.S., and follow the instructions. Contact Admissions for more information about your transcript requirements. Please DO NOT submit your original documents to the College.
2. Get Financial Aid!
Apply for financial aid as soon as possible. Financial aid is available to students enrolled in an eligible program to assist in meeting educational expenses. Applicants should complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov to determine eligibility. Daytona State’s school code is 001475. Processing time is 4-6 weeks. More information is available from the Office of Financial Aid Services.
Daytona State College scholarships are also available. Apply online.
3. Get Advised!
Contact Academic Advising at any campus. The Advisor will assist you with choosing your first classes, requirements for program completion, and graduation plans. Take copies of your college / university transcripts, if any. More information is available from the Academic Advising office. We also recommend that you visit Career Services.
4. Get Oriented!
If you are a new or readmitting Daytona State student, complete the online orientation. It will introduce you to some important information about the College and familiarize you with many important services available to you as a student. You can access the orientation by logging in to the student portal at MYDAYTONASTATE. You can obtain your student ID number and Falconmail address on this page. You will use this information to access the student portal on the Daytona State website. Your default PIN is "Dsc" and your birth date, in the format DscMMDDYY. Please change the password once you are logged in. If you have forgotten your login information and/or password they can be retrieved and/or reset using the portlets on the login page. Once you are logged in, choose FalconNet and then choose Orientation from the left column.
5. Get Registered!
Sign up for your classes online via your FalconNet Online Services or in person at any campus Falcon Center. You can check course availability online. More information is available from the Registration Office.
6. Get a Receipt!
Pay for your classes either online via your FalconNet Online Services or in person at the Office of Student Accounts at any campus. The Office of Student Accounts offers a number of payment options to assist you to make payments while your financial aid is being processed or if you will not be using financial aid.
REMEMBER – you are not officially registered until you have paid in full.
7. Get an ID Card, Parking Decal and Books!