APPLY NOW! (386) 506-3000  My Daytona State

COVID-19 - Student FAQs

Daytona State College is closely monitoring the rapidly changing situation concerning the coronavirus (COVID-19). We know our students have questions about how the virus will impact the College and their academic plans. Following are frequently asked questions for students of Daytona State College. We will continue to monitor the situation and update the FAQ on a regular basis as needed.

General Updates

When can I return to class or campus?

Based on the latest updates from state and national officials, students are not to come to any Daytona State College campus until further notice. This is part of the larger effort to limit personal contact per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/CDC and the President’s Guidelines. Students can conduct college business through other means, including phone, email or via live chat.

Has the commencement and award convocation been cancelled?

At this time, the graduation and awards ceremonies have been cancelled and we are exploring options for the future. The College will notify students of any further plans.

This was not an easy decision, and we recognize the importance of celebrating your success. We admire your dedication to your studies and hope to put something in place to honor your accomplishments.

What do I need to do if I recently traveled to an international destination or went on a cruise?

Based on the most recent guidance from the Florida College System chancellor, anyone returning from any international destination or cruise must self-isolate for 14 days upon return. Do not come to any DSC campus. Please email your instructor for further guidance regarding your classes.

What should I do if I have symptoms of COVID-19?

If you experience symptoms, isolate yourself, do not come to class or campus, and seek medical attention by calling a medical professional. Inform medical professionals of your symptoms and any recent travel or potential exposure before going to the health facility.

As with all contagious illnesses, limit the potential for exposure to other people and do not come to campus or class. Take the following actions:

  • Notify your instructor(s) via email that you are ill. You can find contact information on the course syllabus or through the DSC website directory.
  • Isolate yourself to keep from potentially exposing other people, including members of your own household.
  • Seek medical advice from a medical professional by calling ahead before visiting a health facility. 
What preventative measures should I take?

The CDC recommends the following:

  • Wash hands often with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.

  • Cover your cough or sneeze.
  • Avoid contact with those who are sick and avoid others if you are sick.
  • Regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched objects.
  • Avoid grasping shared surfaces such as door handles, gas pumps, grocery carts, elevator buttons, etc. with your hands. Use your knuckles or hips or a paper towel or disposable glove.
  • Avoid shaking hands.
  • If you’re feeling sick, stay home. Do not risk your health or the wellbeing of others by trying to “tough it out.” 
What if I need access to healthcare but don’t have insurance?
The quickest way to get help is to utilize the resources at Heart of Florida United Way by dialing 211. They can connect you to resources in your local area.

Student Support

Personal Counseling Services for Students


Daytona State is offering personal counseling services to currently enrolled students during the COVID-19 emergency. DSC Counseling and Accessibility Services staff members will be answering voicemails and emails within 24–48 business hours of receipt.

 Please note, this is a personal counseling service. It is not designed for general or academic inquiries. If you have general or academic inquiries, please call the College’s main number at (386) 506-3000, or refer to our website.

*If this is an actual emergency please call 911.

To contact a counselor via voicemail please call (386) 506-3038.

Specific counselors may also be reached at the following email addresses:

If you are in need of immediate assistance, here are some helpful resources.

The National Alliance on Mental Illness

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Additional resources can be found at:

How can I get registration assistance without coming to campus? 

We encourage you to contact Registration via chat (located in the upper right side of this page), or call 386-506-3136 or As always, our Enrollment Specialists can support you by answering questions about college operations, registration, admission, graduation and other important topics.

I have questions about my courses, how do I connect with an advisor?

You can connect with an advisor by emailing us at, via chat, or calling 386-506-3661

What do I do if I’m dual enrolled and my school is closed?

If you are an existing dual enrolled student with a signed form on file for the Spring term, we will work with you to modify your schedule. At this time the assessment office is closed to students, so we are unable to offer PERT testing for new students. We are exploring our options and hope to have a plan in place soon.

Volusia County Students in need of books

Visit this VCS page to request a voucher for their Spring B books by March 20. They have arranged for a central pick-up location at the DeLand Administrative Complex at 200 N. Clara Ave. on March 24. Students must provide their schedule and a screenshot of the required book(s) from DSC’s website.

Homeschool students in need of books

Book vouchers were sent via email and can be emailed or faxed to the bookstore along with your address, books will be shipped to you at no cost. Please email or fax forms to:,,, or fax to 386-518-1492.

What if I need to take a test?

Testing is not available until further notice, but we are continuing to evaluate the needs and are working on a plan to offer assessments in the near future.

Can I come to campus to use resources such as computer labs?

At this time, all DSC campuses are closed to students. 

How do I get my books since the bookstore is closed?

You can view and order your books on the bookstore’s website, and they will be shipped to you at no cost.

Are there any impacts to summer courses?

At this point, there is no impact on summer term courses, and we encourage you to register for classes based on your scheduled enrollment date. If there is an impact on summer term courses, we will communicate those impacts with you at a later date. It’s important that you check your FalconMail frequently for these kinds of important updates.

What if I need new disability accommodations for online courses?

Students requesting disability accommodations should contact the Counseling & Accessibility Office by phone or email to discuss new requests or changes to existing accommodations. CAS staff will work with students and faculty to determine reasonable accommodations.


My class is already in an online format. Will my online class be canceled the week of Monday, March 16?

No; if your class is already an online course, you should continue to complete coursework and assessments based on your syllabi. These changes have no impact on courses that were already online. If you have questions, please contact your instructor.

My class requires face-to-face meetings. Will my course be canceled?

If you are in face-to-face or hybrid course, information about your course will be available by Monday March 23. Right now, faculty are working on creating this content, so please be patient if you do not see anything in your FalconOnline course shell.

What happens if my class has a lab?

Information about your course will be available by Monday March 23. Right now, faculty are working on creating this content, so please be patient if you do not see anything in your FalconOnline course shell.

What happens if I’m in a program like Nursing, Welding or Law Enforcement that requires hands-on work?

Information about your course will be available by Monday March 23. Right now, faculty are working on creating this content, so please be patient if you do not see anything in your FalconOnline course shell.

How do I access an online class?

When you’re at the college’s website, click on the Falcon Online button towards the bottom left of the homepage. This will take you to your online class shells. 

You'll log into Falcon Online, with the same username and password as Falcon Mail. If you don't remember what that is, try reseting your password or contact the Help Desk ( 

I’ve never had an online course – how do I find my coursework?

To get acclimated, please click through the Falcon Online InfoGuide, and watch this initial video (4:47 min) on getting started.

Once you’ve clicked on a class shell, you may see an announcement from your instructor, contact information, and other course details. To navigate the course, click on the blue navigation bar at the top. There you’ll find Content (course materials/files), Assignments (where you’ll submit your work), Discussions, Classlist, Quizzes, Grades, and more.

Are there support resources for online students?

YES! Check out this full list of all the support available for students in online courses.

I need help with FalconOnline. Can I get help with FalconOnline?

Check out this helpful InfoGuide. The FalconAid student helpdesk is available to assist.

What should I do if I don’t have access to the technology to complete coursework online?

We recognize that not all students will be comfortable continuing their studies in an online or alternative format. If you are unable to complete coursework online, please communicate with your instructor. We will do our best to support your individual needs, and evaluate your options for an Incomplete grade for the term to continue at a later date.

Can I come to campus to use a computer labs?

At this time, all DSC campuses are closed to students. 


Financial Aid and Student Employment

How can I get my questions answered?

Financial aid is available via email and phone – 386-506-3015. You can also check these frequently asked questions.

Will Financial Aid disbursements be affected by the additional time off?

No. Spring B financial aid disbursements begin April 8 with refunds starting to be processed on April 10. If you are a first-time loan borrower, your Direct Loan funds will be disbursed to your student account beginning April 15 with refunds starting to be processed on April 15.

What will happen to my financial aid if I withdraw, or drop, from my courses due not being comfortable with the online format?

There are three scenarios:

  • Full term course students: Students receiving financial aid who are enrolled in Full term courses and decide to withdraw from all courses will be subject to the return of Title IV calculation rules. These rules determine the amount of financial aid you earned based on when the student last attended courses.
  • Student had Spring A course and drop Spring B: Students who attended all of their Spring A courses and decided to drop their Spring B courses will have their aid adjusted to reflect attendance in only those Spring A courses.
  • Spring B only students: Students who are only enrolled for Spring B should drop their Spring B courses by the add/drop date of March 24. This will allow us to remove your Spring B financial aid.

Will withdrawing from my Spring courses negatively impact my eligibility to receive financial aid in future terms?

Yes, withdrawing can negatively impact your future eligibility. Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) by meeting these components throughout their academic career:

  • Maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA
  • Successfully complete 67% of the course work attempted
  • Be within 150% of the maximum timeframe to complete the degree

If you do not meet one, or more, of the above-mentioned criteria you will be able to appeal your SAP status. Circumstances related to an outbreak of COVID-19 may form the basis of your appeal, however you will need to be able to document it.

I’m a work study – can I continue working?

Yes, you may continue working, however, please check with your supervisor first. Your supervisor may assign you different tasks which do not require coming to campus.  

If my classes move online, will my GI Bill benefits be impacted?

For the remainder of this semester, your GI Bill benefits will not be impacted by the move to online instruction. However, if we continue to have to offer courses online for subsequent semesters, you may not be eligible for some benefits, such as a full housing allowance.

Daytona State College Facebook Daytona State College Twitter Daytona State College Youtube Daytona State College Linkedin Daytona State College Instagram

Daytona State College 1200 W. International Speedway Blvd., Daytona Beach, Florida 32114 (386) 506-3000

Daytona State College is an equal opportunity institution.

If you are having any difficulty accessing our website, please contact the help desk at (386) 506-3950 or

Last updated: 2020-03-26T20:04:44.701Z