Program Code 1056 Fire Fighter
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the basic requirements to get into the Fire Fighter Program?
- Must apply for admission to Daytona State College - in person or at www.daytonastate.edu.
- Must be 18 years of age before completion of the program.
- Must not have used tobacco products (cigarettes, snuff, chewing tobacco, etc.) for one year prior to applying for the program.
- Must not have been convicted (a finding of guilt or the acceptance of a plea of guilty or nolo contendere) of a misdemeanor relating to the certification, or to perjury or false statement, or a felony or a crime punishable by imprisonment of one year or more.
- Must have a standard high school diploma or a GED®.
- Must not have been dishonorably discharged from any of the US Armed Forces.
- Must complete Fire Fighter Program application, which includes a state-mandated background check, physical examination and other departmental forms.
- Must complete a physical skills assessment/Agility Test prior to program acceptance.
- Must attend Fire Fighter Orientation, where information on ordering classroom uniforms,
renting bunker gear, purchasing textbooks and classroom supplies/materials, enrolling in the
program and paying tuition/lab fees will be reviewed.
What is the cost of the Fire Fighter Program?
Approximately $3,400.00 – includes tuition, lab fees, state fees, physical, bunker gear rental, uniforms, personal protective gear, books, and supplies
Can I get financial aid for the Fire Fighter Program?
Financial Aid is not available for Fire Fighter, due to the length of the program. Students can apply for scholarships. For scholarship information, visit www.daytonastate.edu or contact the Financial Aid office at (386) 506-3015.
What is the schedule for the Fire Fighter Program?
Two 15-week full-time programs are offered each year:
Spring (January to May) is a daytime program and meets Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Fall (August to December) is a daytime program and meets Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
One 24-week part-time program is offered each year:
Summer/Fall (June to December) is a night-time program and meets
Monday through Thursday 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
When are the Fire Fighter Program applications available?
Applications are available in October for the Spring program, in March for the Summer/Fall program, and in June for the Fall program.
How do I get a job as a firefighter?
Students must successfully complete Program Code 1056 Fire Fighter and Program Code 0960 Emergency Medical Technician. Students must successfully pass the Florida State Firefighter Certification Exam and the EMT Certification Exam (State or National Registry). Students can then apply for any firefighter position at any fire service agency in the state Florida.
To receive an application or further information, on this program or Program Code 0960 Emergency Medical Technician contact Teresa Campbell at Teresa.Campbell@DaytonaState.edu or call (386) 506-4203 or (386) 506-4122.