The Paramedic Course contains 1,230 hours of training. The total course breakdown of hours is as follows:
- 390 hours of lecture
- 300 hours of lab
- 540 hours of clinical experience
The Clinical experience sessions will allow students to ride aboard an Advanced Life Support Ambulance, a Fire Department Engine Company, as well as participate in the hospital setting.
Public Safety and Healthcare Organizations that participate with our students:
- Volusia County Public Protection (EVAC)
- Daytona Beach Fire Department
- Holly Hill Fire Department
- Port Orange Fire Rescue
- New Smyrna Beach Fire Rescue
- Edgewater Fire Rescue
- Orange City Fire Department
- Deltona Fire Rescue
- Florida Hospital (Multiple Locations)
- Halifax Health (Multiple Locations)
- Bert Fish Medical Center
Students will receive additional certifications in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), and Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS).
Students must successfully complete all Lecture, Lab , and Clinical sections in order to apply to the State of Florida Bureau of EMS to sit for the certification exam. For more information on the State of Florida Bureau of EMS click on the image below:
Special Admission Requirements for the Paramedic Program:
- Applicants must be 18 years of age on the first day of classes
- Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED on the first day of classes
- Applicants must have a current Florida EMT License in good standing prior to applying. PLEASE NOTE THAT NREMT CERTIFICATION WILL NOT SUBSTITUTE FOR THE FLORIDA LICENSE.
- All applicants for the Paramedic Program must sit for the Paramedic Entrance Examination and will be ranked according to final score. Only the top 24 scores will be invited to submit an application.
Applicants who are invited to submit an application must present:
- A completed EMS Department application for Paramedic
- A copy of the State of Florida EMT License in good standing
- A completed physical examination on the provided form
- Proof of Hepatitis B injections or status
- Proof of Health Insurance
- High School, GED, and/or College Transcripts
- Acceptable scores on the TABE or PERT exam
- Copies of your Florida Drivers License and Social Security Card
- Level 2 Background Check and 10-Panel Drug Screen through Certified Background
NOTE: Applicants for the EMT and Paramedic programs must be free of offenses that would disqualify one for employment in a health care or community health setting. This policy is a requirement of our clinical affiliates to meet state and federal regulations.
If you have been convicted or plead no contest, regardless of adjudication, to a felony charge, you are required to submit documentation of the date, location, facts,disposition of the charge, and, as applicable, documentation of the status of your civil rights after the felony conviction. You must submit a copy of the judgment of each felony, all probation documents, any documents that are relevant to the felony, and your explanation of the offense(s) and any other arrests. Documentation, with the exception of your explanation, must be certified by a court of competent jurisdiction.
Click here if you would like more information about the Paramedic Program call 386-506-4122