It is the goal of Project SPEAK to raise awareness through education of administrators, faculty, staff, students and their families of the colleges and universities located in Volusia, Flagler and Seminole counties, Florida, of the signs of depression, substance abuse and suicidal ideation in order to prevent suicides among college students.
What We Want To Accomplish
The following are outcomes desired to help meet our goal:
- Prevent suicides among college students in Voluisa, Flagler, and Seminole Counties.
- Raise awareness concerning suicide prevention by providing educational information and materials and training to students, faculty, administrators, staff and other services as needed.
- Normalize the discssion concerning mental health issues.
- Decrease the stigma associated with mental illness and seeking help and support.
- Make appropriate linkages to treatment and other services as needed.
- Develop community support for suicide prevention for college students.