In an effort to lead to a better you, March is National Nutrition Month. Eat Right!
National Nutrition Month
National Nutrition Month® is a nutrition education and information campaign created annually in March by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign focuses attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
"Go Further with Food” is the theme for 2018, and its importance is timely for many reasons. Whether it's starting the day off right with a healthy breakfast or fueling before an athletic event, the foods you choose can make a real difference. Preparing your foods to go further, by planning meals and snacks in advance can also help to reduce food loss and waste. This year's theme for National Nutrition Month® encourages us to achieve the numerous benefits healthy eating habits offer, but it also urges us to find ways to cut back on food waste. Learning how to manage food resources at home will help you "Go Further with Food", while saving both nutrients and money.
- Include a variety of healthful foods from all of the food groups on a regular basis.
- Consider the foods you have on hand before buying more at the store.
- Buy only the amount that can be eaten or frozen within a few days and plan ways to use leftovers later in the week.
- Be mindful of portion sizes. Eat and drink the amount that’s right for you, as MyPlate encourages us to do.
- Continue to use good food safety practices.
- Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
- Realize the benefits of healthy eating by consulting with a registered dietitian nutritionist. RDNs can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.
Happy March ~ Attached are our monthly wellness newsletters from Florida Blue, Florida Health Care Plans, and our own DSC Falcon Fitness! Summaries listed below.
- Eating Well! It’s a lifestyle
- Ask the Dietitian
- Recipe: Cauliflower Cranberry Superfood Salad
Click on the following link https://www.floridablue.com/find-a-location and select the Florida Blue Center nearest you, and check the activities calendars for great wellness programs.
Get even more great health and wellness information and stay in the know with the Florida Blue blog: https://www.floridablue.com/blog
FHCP (HMO) Wellness newsletter features:
- Volusia County Corporate Cup Challenge
- Community Events/Activities ( March to Get Screened 5K, 4ever Fitness 5K, Running with Chromies 5k)
- Gym List
- Member Education Opportunities
- Dr. On Demand
- Dietary Fiber
- Enough Sleep???
- Colon Cancer
- St. Patty’s Day Wellness
- Recipe: Warm Chorizo and Chickpea salad
DSC Falcon Fitness Newsletter features:
- Eat Well. Be Well
- Creating Healthier Lives
- Group Fitness Class Schedules
- Fitness & Aquatic Center Operational Hours
FACEBOOK “Likes” Challenge of 100!!!
Please note: FHCP has a new Member Portal. The portal includes the ability to choose a physician, refill a Rx, print member cards, view claims, and much more! Instructions to login.
For more information, visit our website: http://www.daytonastate.edu/employee_benefits/
Most people know that eating fruits and vegetables is important for good health, but most of us still are not getting enough! This September, Daytona State College is proud to participate in Fruits & Veggies – More Matters Month.
Eating a healthy diet with plenty of vegetables and fruits can help you:
- Lower your risk for heart disease and some types of cancer
- Maintain or reach a healthy weight
- Keep your body strong and active
Here are some ideas to help you and your family fit more fruits and vegetables into your day:
- Keep a bowl of fruit handy where the whole family can see it.
- Cut up fruits and veggies ahead of time so they are ready for quick, healthy snacks.
- Challenge your family to try a new veggie or fruit every week.
- Remember, eating more fruits and veggies can be fun – and it is worth it!
DSC will offer free Flu Shots in October for all employees covered by the College’s medical insurance plans.
Watch for information regarding the date & time!
Happy September – Eat More Fruits & Veggies…More Matters!
Your Employee Benefits Department
Bldg. 100, Rm 306 – Ext 3083, 4404
Fruit & Veggie Flash Cards
My Plate Daily Checklist Calculator
How to Use Fruits & Vegetable to Manage Weight Loss
Fruit and Veggies Activity Book
A. National High Blood Pressure Awareness Month
A comprehensive wellness/fitness facility is available to employees who have successfully passed their probationary period and a routine physical exam.
For additional details, please contact the Fitness Center at (386) 506-3838.