MARCH 6, 2020 - With the flu season (influenza) still active, we are encouraging everyone to keep practicing preventative measures such as frequent handwashing, avoiding close contact with people who are sick, and staying home if you are sick. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has excellent resources related to things you can do to help prevent the spread of viruses, including influenza and COVID-19.
- Get a flu shot, and take flu antivirals if prescribed.
- If you are sick, stay home.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
- Carry and use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Immediately dispose of used tissue.
- Monitor your symptoms. If you experience flu-like symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath), please call ahead before visiting your doctor for further guidance.
The Florida Department of Health is also now available Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. to take your questions at (866) 779-6121 or via email at COVIDemail@example.com. The World Health Organization also has resources and tips, including COVID-19 “Myth-Busters”.
Daytona State College will officially close for Spring Break on Monday, March 9 and will reopen on Monday, March 16 (classes will be held on Saturday, March 7, but not on Saturday, March 14).
If you are traveling out of the country during the break, please continue to check the CDC’s list of affected countries before returning to campus. Please check to see if any new countries are added to the restricted list during the break (currently, the restricted list includes China, Iran, Italy, Japan and South Korea). If you have recently visited (or plan to visit) any listed country, please email Keith Kennedy, Vice President of Student Development, at Keith.Kennedy@DaytonaState.edu. In addition to contacting Mr. Kennedy, you will also be required to self-isolate and not come to campus for 14 days after returning from these countries.
DSC Campus Safety
(03/06/2020, 9:30 a.m.)